When it comes to general dentists, most of us rarely give the job much thought. Sure, we know dentists clean teeth and go to school, but beyond that most of us do not have a clue. Here are a few interesting facts that will help you better understand and be more appreciative of all the…
4 Facts to Know About General Dentists
When it comes to general dentists, most of us rarely give the job much thought. Sure, we know dentists clean teeth and go to school, but beyond that most of us do not have a clue. Here are a few interesting facts that will help you better understand and be more appreciative of all the things our dentists do for us.
4 Facts about general dentists
The following are four interesting facts to know about general dentists.
1. Dentists are in demand
While you hopefully have had no trouble in finding the right dentist for you, the current demand for dentists is high. With fewer people attending dental school and more environmental factors affecting our teeth than ever before, the need for dental professionals will only continue to increase. Chlorine in pools and drinking water, the increased frequency of antibiotic use and the consumption of sugary and acidic drinks are all contributors to this rise in dentistry demand.
2. More than tooth brushers
Beyond the routine cleaning and maintenance of patient oral health, dentists have many responsibilities. Your general dentist handles the diagnosis of dental and gum diseases, cosmetic procedures, teeth whitening, patient education, surgery and implants, extractions and so much more. The variety of work done by general dentists goes beyond what most professions require, making dentistry a very interesting and challenging industry.
3. Only 20% specialize
While it may seem like every dental professional would be clamoring for specialized spots, the majority of dentists prefer general dentistry. With only 20% of dental students choosing to specialize according to the American Dental Association, the other 80% are general dental practitioners. Those that do specialize can choose from one of the 10 recognized areas of dentistry: Dental Anesthesiology, Dental Public Health, Endodontics, Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontics and Prosthodontics.
4. Art meets science
For many dental professionals, the pull of dentistry, as opposed to other medical fields, has to do with the change for artistic expression. Dentists must combine their medical knowledge, practical skill and understanding of aesthetics on a daily basis. To create the most beautiful smiles, dentists must be able to apply a creative and artistic eye to the teeth of their patients. By combining an understanding of balance, symmetry, and aesthetic beauty with education and medical training, dentistry is the perfect career for anyone who loves art and science.
The bottom line
General dentists can have extremely varied and challenging careers. Oral health is interconnected with overall health, so finding a trusted general dentist is important.
Request an appointment here: or call Ray Ahn DDS at (626) 797-4121 for an appointment in our Pasadena office.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
A dental crown is one of the most popular methods of dental restoration within general dentistry. When a tooth becomes severely damaged due to decay, it is likely that a dental crown can restore the tooth. Want to know more about dental crowns and what they do? We are here to help! In this article,…
Are you looking for reasons why someone might have crooked teeth instead of straight teeth? A variety of factors can cause this condition. Some people have straight teeth, and they do not need to see a dentist that often as long as they make sure to brush and floss their teeth twice a day.On the…
If you are a parent, you probably have a plethora of questions when it comes to keeping your kid’s teeth healthy. From their brushing and flossing habits to scheduling their first dental appointment, parents have a hard time judging what dental care their child needs.The problem seems even more serious when your kid’s teeth have…